Childcare & School Referral
The University of Chicago provides a free child care referral service via Perspectives Ltd. to assist parents in locating and evaluating child care providers that best meet their needs.
The Baby PhD Childcare Network at the Hyde Park Neighborhood Club offers parents a highly personalized childcare referral service. Depending on family needs and priorities, Baby PhD can make referrals to daycare centers, daycare homes, and nannies. The Childcare Network also offers professional mentoring and support to local childcare providers, maintains a childcare lending library, and sponsors an annual series of seminars focused on best practices in early childhood education.
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools are a private K-12 option located on the UChicago campus. Duane Davis, Chicago Director of My Very Own Library, is available to consult with faculty families with questions about Chicago Public Schools and K-12 educational options. For more information, contact Duane at email@example.com.
Parent Groups and Playdates
Kids Club is a website that helps parents connect with other families in Hyde Park with similarly-aged children. Host or attend playdates or arrange a babysitting co-op.
UChicago Family Birth Center
The University of Chicago Family Birth Center offers a customized birth experience in the comfort and privacy of its nurturing environment. The Center's team of experts support pregnant women and their partners and families with compassion and respect through pregnancy, childbirth, bonding, breastfeeding, and healing.
Family & Child-oriented E-mail Lists
The University’s Family Resource Center hosts two listservs: the Student Parent Market Listserv, where members can post children’s items they wish to buy and sell, and the Student Parent Listserv, which is a general list where parents can learn about Family Resource Center events. Many UChicago alumni, post-docs, and faculty members are members of these lists.
Another active parent e-mail list is the Hyde Park Parent Support Network.
- The Law School Reflecting Pool is a popular place for young children to splash beneath the Pevsner sculpture.
- UChicago has a community swim and diving school program that also offers child swim lessons.
- The University’s Family Resource Center has an indoor play area featuring a jungle gym; an outdoor playground; a variety of toys; an arts and crafts area; and a large play area to hold music, dance, and other classes for young children during the academic year.
- Logan Center for the Arts hosts Family Saturdays with free thematic art workshops led by local artists, art organizations, and UChicago students. Families can sample a range of activities for children ages two - 12 through hour-long sessions.
- The Oriental Institute offers a series of family and child-oriented events throughout the year for children ages four and older. These include workshops on hieroglyphs, simulated archaeological digs, and Egyptian history.
- Every Wednesday is Shake Day at the Reynolds Club, which offers $1 milkshakes on this day.
- 57th Street Beach is easily reachable via car or by foot.
- 57th Street Books offers toddler storytime each week in English and Spanish.
- Blackstone Public Library holds toddler storytime several times each week.
- This map shows all the playgrounds in Hyde Park.
For a comprehensive list of local swim classes, art, music, and sports offerings for children, contact Liv Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Neighborhood E-mail Lists
Good Neighbors is an active community listserv with members discussing everything from handymen referrals, lost pets, and neighborhood politics. Go to the website, select “apply to join group,” and include your first and last name, e-mail address, and one or two sentences about yourself.